Friday, July 23, 2010

What Are We Really Looking For?

5/19/2010

When I'm with my friends who are involved in leading ministries, there's always talk about "attracting more young people" to get involved. A lot of times they talk about needing more youthful music, or programs blah blah blah. But I don't think that's really what the "young people" are after. They are after the same thing those of us who are older are after... they are looking for people who care about them. They are looking for real relationships. They are looking for a place where they can be themselves and where people will help them work through the questions they have and hunt for answers together.

There's a lot of talk about authenticity lately. I think it's a good thing. But there's a lot of confusion about what exactly that is. Some people argue that people use it as an excuse to sin and we shouldn't. Other's argue that if we really love Jesus we won't "smoke, drink or chew, or go with girls that do." That's not what I think of when I think of being authentic.

When I was young, I grew up in a pretty abusive home. I lived two lives... the hellish one at home, and the other that I tried to keep separate. I was afraid to let my friends get to close to my life at home. But the result is that I felt fractured. Part of the healing process for me after I became a believer was allowing God to integrate those separate parts of my life into one person. To me, to be authentic means to just be honest about who I am, how I'm doing and what is going on inside of me, as well as my relationship with Christ. That doesn't mean deliberately trying to get away with stuff I think or know is wrong. I just means that I don't try to hide my brokenness. There's a freedom in that. It also creates an environment where my friends and students feel more free to be honest with me too.

Most of my younger friends especially thrive in an environment where they don't feel like they have to hide their brokenness... where they feel like it's ok to come with their questions, and their anger, or their pain, and know that there are people who will still love them. In the midst of that we can heal together. I'm not interested in big, bitchin' worship, or zippy video. I'm not interested in great sermon delivery. I'm interested in sharing life with other people who I know will support and pray for me. I love it when the church functions as a family. Here's to more real connection going on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home