Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Space Between...

Hey gang it's a looooong one, but it has some great news for me.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 (5:01pm)
The Space Between...

The older I get the more time seems to fly by. Part of that is due to my somewhat crazy work schedule. I get up every day and work at making it through. The next day I do the same. I try to really live in the moment while I'm there with each person I encounter. But still the months race by... the years race by. More and more I'm becoming convinced that time is the most precious commodity of anything we possess. To be continued.


Sunday, June 29, 2008 (1:05am)
Ah... see what I mean. 21 days went by... in a heartbeat. For me, the lack of writing normally doesn't mean "no news." A lot of times it's because there are so many things going on that are so meaningful, that I can't figure out how to condense them into a few phrases. My private journal is considerably more full. Even there sometimes it's hard to put into words the inner working of my warped brain, or my spirit. I looked back and realized that for the most part, since February, there's been only silliness in my blog with the exception of a heartfelt prayer for peace and a remembrance of a dear friend.

I think we all have those things that occupy the space between. They make their presence known late at night when we can't sleep, or we are weary... sometimes they are fleeting memories that show up in the midst of great joy. Sometimes for me they happen in one on one encounters here in my teaching room, late night at Barnes and Noble or out to eat with someone. Sometimes it's triggered by reading someone else's blog.

So many times lately I've had those kinds of people encounters where I wished that I had a video camera running to record the moment. Some of those moments I wish I could share with all of you. There are times when the things that come out of my students mouths (especially the young ones) take my breath away at how they see life... how they get what's important about living and God and loving people.

There is one little boy whose father has to travel a lot for business. Most of the kids I teach like that are almost always angry at their fathers for their not being around. This little boy loves his dad though... and more than that, he knows how much his dad loves him. Every week he tells me about the stuff they do together and the trips they make together. I hear stories of his dad moving heaven and earth to get back early from business trips to make it to his talent shows and activities. I wish his dad could hear him talk, and I made a mental note to call his dad and thank him for being a great father and let him know I see it all over in the life of his son.

This time in the space between, something amazing has happened in my life. That's what originally caused me to start this blog back on the eighth. Anyone who's known me for any length of time knows my sketchy church history. I'm like the Typhoid Mary of Churchdom. I've been in more churches that have had horrible things going on... both dealt with and swept under the rug... with sin and corruption and pain and pastoral flameouts... you name it... I've been there right in the middle of it. At the end of the day, much more than being angry or bitter, it has left me on one hand with a lot of grief for all the brokenness and loss, and a sense of thankfulness on the other hand for the mercy of God and His ability to bring new life out of the pain.

There aren't many things in my life that I deeply regret... but there was one that has let a huge pool of grief for years. In the early 90's, due to some circumstances out of either of our control, I felt like the best and most loving thing I could do was to step away from a relationship with one of my best friends, music partner, and also a partner in ministry. For me, and other women in our close knit group, it was hard because we so wanted to be there for her and her son. Through all these years I've continued to pray for her and her family and I've missed her. I've missed having the chance to see her son grow up. Every time I've gone out to play, I've thought that she would have totally loved what we were doing. And for all these years I've hoped that one day there would be a way to make it right.

Recently, I heard that there were some major changes getting ready to happen in her life... and I knew that I knew that I knew that it was time to contact her again, although I had no idea how she would respond to that. When I called her, she called me right back... and on June 8th, at nine in the evening at Barnes and Noble, we saw each other for the first time since around 1993.

In all these years we never ran into each other. To me when I was contemplating calling her I was blown away by how long it had been when I stopped to do the math. For me the space between 98 and now has been one huge blur or work and medical bills. It seemed like yesterday when I saw her last. It was like the years just melted away and we had a great time catching up on a lot of missing years. We are both older and grayer and more tired, and yet, even with everything I think we are both at a point of looking forward to this new season in our lives. Last night we went to dinner at a place I eat at all the time... and it turns out her son, who's now in his twenties works there and I have talked to him before. I remember looking at him and almost asking him. So perhaps I'll have a chance to spend some time with the young man I loved so much as a young boy. There's so much more to the story, but it's still in process... to be continued.

All of it though has made me really stop and think about a lot of things, including why we who are a part of the "Christian subculture" will allow things from pastors we would never allow from people who were just showing up on Sunday mornings. Pastors these days only get canned if they get caught in some heinous act. The last few weeks have made me think that maybe we should start with really looking at how they love and care for their families. If they can't do that, then maybe it doesn't matter what a "gifted speaker" they are. Perhaps instead of bowing out, I should have stayed and with the other women, became an even bigger pain in her husband's back side. There's no way of knowing for sure. But I did apologize to her for not being there. I know too that I need to write her son too and apologize for not finding a way to let him know what was going on and for disappearing out of his life... and to apologize too for all the crap he had to go through at the hands of the church.

I am so thankful for that opportunity. I'm happy to be able to see her reconnecting with other old friends. I know they are so glad to see her too. In the end, real church is about being family... and continuing to love.

So, I've rambled on long enough for now. There's so much more I could say... and probably will somewhere down the line. Let me just say that I am one thankful girl. And such a weight has been lifted.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite portions of the Bible, that has been so true for me in Psalm 126...
1 When the LORD brought back the captives to

Zion, we were like men who dreamed.

2 Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."
3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.
4 Restore our fortunes, O LORD, like streams in the Negev.
5 Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.
6 He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home