Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Flip Side Of The Coin...

January 7, 2008
FROM MY MYSPACE BLOG

The Flip Side of the Coin...
(Or How I Spent My Christmas Vacation)

Anyone who knows me knows I don't get much down time. As a matter of fact, the last time I had any time off without someone dying, Ken and/or I being sick, or some major natural disaster/crisis was about ten years ago.

I had two weeks off in a row for the first time since then. And, while I did spend the first week feeling pretty sick and horrible, it was still nice to just have time to rest and recuperate in peace. I had a chance to just sit and read for long periods of time. I got to work on learning to run my new multi-track recorder. I had a chance to input the music/lyrics and chords for about 30 new songs into the computer, which is very time consuming but wonderful to have. I got a chance to just hang out and goof off with my husband. We had a nice, peaceful, calm Christmas, which was a wonderful thing. The second week I felt better and I got to see some friends that I have been missing, and have some great meals with them.

Nancy and I got a chance to record and work on music, which has been good for my soul. I got a chance to just go outside and breathe the air and stare blankly. We also got a chance to go feed the geese (more about being the goose whisper in another blog) and enjoy nature. Those things might not seem like a big deal... but they were very precious gifts to me. Given the new year, it's probably good I got a chance to rest up some.

I also got a chance to read A Widening Light, a poetry anthology put together by Luci Shaw of wonderful contemporary poets writing on the Life of Christ. I think that, mixed with all the good and bad Christmas memories brought back for me just how thankful I am for God's mercy and redemption in a real way. Some of us have been reading through the Bible this year together... and this verse from Matthew 4:17 in "The Message" version jumped out at me...
"People sitting out their lives in the dark saw a huge light;
Sitting in that dark, dark country of death,
they watched the sun come up."

It's late and I'm way too tired right now to adequately describe just how much that is my story. When I was young I lived in the middle of horrible darkness. Even then I knew that there had to be a better life for me. Hopefully one of these days I'll find the words to explain. But I was reminded again how thankful I am to be alive and to know the mercy of God... even in the midst of breaking, dripping things. I know I'll get through the other stuff. I'm thankful I have some help along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home